Sport in the City Award
The Sport in the City Award recognizes the outstanding contributions of individuals and groups through the hosting of a Sporting Event in Surrey. Sporting events make significant contributions to the tourism industry of Surrey and build community spirit.
The Sport in the City Award supports the Sport Tourism Strategy’s goal to establish Surrey as a premier sport tourism destination in the Pacific Northwest and Canada while balancing community needs with sport tourism development. The award provides an opportunity to recognize an individual or group for the overall success of a single-sport or multi-sport event held in Surrey in 2014-2017.
Please refer to our Terms of Reference for more information about this award.
Surrey’s Sport in the City Award recognizes the overall success of single-sport or multi-sport event held in Surrey in 2014-2017.
There are two award categories for the Sport in the City Award:
- Regional/Provincial Event: These are community level events up to and including regional/provincial Championships
- National/International Event: These are large scale events that bring in teams from outside of the Province and/or Country
The group must have hosted a sport event/tournament within Surrey within the last 3 years that meets the following criteria.
- Increased profile of Surrey regionally, provincially, nationally, or internationally;
- Effectively marketed Surrey through the event and developed positive recognition of the City;
- Generated growth in revenue for the local economy (i.e. restaurants, accommodations, transportation); and
- Enhancement of the community and the spirit of Surrey.
- Contributed to the development of their Sport in Surrey.
Selection and Recognition
A Nomination Review Committee will be established to review all Sport in the City nominations and recommend the award recipients to the Parks, Recreation and Sport Tourism Committee. The Parks, Recreation and Sport Tourism Committee will review the recommendations from the Nomination Review Committee and forward their recommendations to City Council.
Winners will be recognized at the City Awards Reception where they will be presented with an award of excellence. Recipients will also be recognized by the City through print and online media acknowledgement.
Online submissions can be submitted directly via the website.
Any Additional Questions?