End Gang Life BC Gang Exit Pilot
You consistently shared your concern about gang involvement and gang violence throughout the development of Surrey's new Public Safety Strategy. Launched on November 2, 2016, the End Gang Life - BC Gang Exit Pilot is a new initiative to prevent and reduce this type of crime in our community and to support people who want to get out of the gang lifestyle.
This new Surrey pilot to get people out of the gang lifestyle builds on the existing work of the End Gang Life program under the Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit. The two year pilot will demonstrate how we can promote public safety by proactively supporting individuals to leave the gang life and build a more positive relationship with the community.
“The average gang member, who dies, doesn't reach 30 years old. 73% of gang murder victims were drug traffickers.” – Lindsay Houghton, CFSEU
The Lower Mainland End Gang Life - BC Gang Exit Pilot will
- support adults to limit their risk of gang participation,
- help adult gang members who are already involved in the Surrey gang lifestyle make positive changes and exit the gang and
- work with gang members' family, friends and communities to support gang education, gang prevention and gang departure in Surrey.
This program is modeled after similar programs in Canada and the United States. End Gang Life - BC Gang Exit Pilot is based on proven evidence-based approaches, and will involve outreach workers, public education campaigns and support from community organisations to reduce gang violence.
How we'll evaluate success
- Increase in number of participants that exit gang life as a result of the program.
- Decrease in the number of negative police contacts with target participants.
- Increase in the number of participants in training and/or substance use programs.
- Increase in the number of participants securing employment, or entering training programs after participating in the program.
End Gang Life Partners
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions on the End Gang Life Program.
- The City of Surrey
- The Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General
- The Ministry of Jobs, Tourism, and Skills Training
- Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit
- Surrey RCMP
- Surrey School District
- Fraser Health