Surrey's Water Metering Program is a great way to save money and conserve water. Like natural gas and electricity services, you are billed on the exact amount the household consumes based on water rates. This program is designed to enhance the quality of life in our community and prepare for future growth.
Surrey implements a quality assurance program to ensure the metered billings are accurate and equitable.
Mandatory Water Metering
The City of Surrey mandates the installation of water meters for:
- All new residential developments, including Single Family Dwellings (SFDs) and multi-family developments;
- All existing and new industrial, commercial and institutional properties;
- New structures; after the existing one(s) has been demolished;
- Anyone installing a new service from the City Water Main to the property line;
- Properties participating in Local Area Servicing;
- Anyone installing an irrigation system; and
- Anyone who has multiple infractions for wasting water under the Water By-Law.
Download the Meter Design Criteria Manual and Supplementary Specifications, as well as the Meter Designer's Checklist, on our Plumbing page.
Volunteer Water Metering
Take notice of the water you are consuming and sign up for a water meter. People who are more aware of how much water they use generally reduce their water consumption. Water meters also help you identify leaks.
Learn About Your Water Bill
Visit the Metered Utilities section to learn about how utilities are billed, how to detect leaks in your home, why it's important to keep your meter accessible for reading, and more.
Watch our video below to learn how to read your water meter.
Learn how toor your using COSMOS.
Find out more about your water system here.