New and Replacement Service Connections
New Service Connections
This information applies to new service connections for single family homes only. If you are looking for information on new service connections for other development types, visit our Land Development section.
You can connect to the City's sanitary sewer system if all of the following criteria are met:
- There is an existing City sanitary sewer along the full frontage of one or more sides of your property (find out if there are sanitary sewers near your property using COSMOS or by calling the Engineering Department at 604-591-4340);
- The sanitary sewer has capacity to handle the wastewater generated by your property for ultimate development conditions; and,
- Your property is within Metro Vancouver’s Urban Containment Boundary and Fraser Sewerage Area.
You are responsible for all costs to connect to the City's sanitary sewer system, even if your property has been pre-serviced. Service connection costs typically range from $5,000 to $15,000, depending on the property. We can provide a cost estimate to you when you apply for the service connection. Find out about permit details and fees from our Plumbing Department.
The City does not normally allow new service connections to a City forcemain or siphon, or directly to the Metro Vancouver sanitary sewer system. Connections to Metro Vancouver's sanitary sewer system also require Metro Vancouver approval.
Service Connection Replacement
You must replace your existing sanitary service connection when you are building or renovating your home, if the following applies:
- The value of the building / renovation work is more than $100,000; and,
- The existing service connection is more than 30 years old.
Additional conditions may apply. Please refer to the Sanitary Sewer Bylaw No. 16611, contact the Engineering Department at 604-591-4340 or visit us at City Hall (2nd Floor Front Counter) for more information.