Submitting a Development Application
After you've reviewed your pre-application information and had your Pre-Application Meeting, you'll be ready to submit your Development Application.
1. Submit your Development Application Package
There are a number of items you need to submit throughout the Surrey Development Application process. The Submission Requirements describe the timing of when these items are due.
You must submit these items when you come in to apply for your proposed development.
- Land Development Application Form and Lobbyist Registration Form - Mark the application type(s) that apply. Ensure all owners sign the application and the Letter of Authorization if appointing an Agent. Lobbyists are required to complete the Lobbyist Registration Form. To determine if the Lobbyist Registration Form applies to you, refer to the City's Lobbyist Registration Policy.
- Data Sheets - Data sheets describe the site statistics of your proposed development. More than one may apply:
- Commercial/Industrial/Multiple Family Development - Must be attached to all building plans that are submitted as part of a Rezoning, Development Permit, Development Variance Permit, Land Use Contract, and Neighbourhood Pub application.
- Freestanding Sign
- Commercial/Industrial Fascia/Awning Sign
- Sustainable Development Checklist Form - May be required for Land Development applications such as OCP Amendments, Rezoning and Development Permits. To determine if this applies, schedule a Pre-Application Meeting with Surrey Planning and Development Staff. If required, submit the completed Checklist by emailing a completed PDF or handing in a hardcopy form.
- Soil Contamination Questionnaire - To be completed and signed by the owner(s) or authorized agent. This form must be included with all Rezoning, Subdivision, Development Permit and Development Variance Permit applications to determine if your site will be subject to the Ministry of Environment's review, for contaminated soil.
- Tree Survey and Arborist Report - The tree survey is conducted by a land surveyor and identifies the size and location of all trees on and adjacent to the subject site. The Arborist Report assesses the overall health and quality of the trees on or adjacent to the subject site.
- Title Search - Provide one for each property included in an application. Obtain the Title Search through the , located at Suite 300, 88 Sixth Street, New Westminster.
- Proposed Subdivision Layout or Design Drawings - Plans or drawings should conform to the standards in the Submission Requirements checklist. Applications for a Development Permit may be referred to the Surrey Advisory Design Panel (ADP). Refer to the ADP Terms of Reference for a description of the type of project that may require submission to the ADP.
- Application Fees - At this time, we're only able accept land development applications in person at the Surrey City Hall at the 2nd floor service counter. You may refer to the documents below to estimate the application fees for your project; however, the application fees will be verified when you come in to make your application. Please note that NCP Surcharge fees may apply.
- Fee Summary - Do not attempt to calculate fees, but consult with a front counter staff person at the time of submitting your application.
- Land Use and Development Application Fees Bylaw No. 18641
Return all submission requirements with application fees in person to the Surrey City Hall at the 2nd floor service counter:
Surrey City Hall
13450 - 104 Avenue
2. Receive Development Application acceptance and track your project
The City of Surrey's Planning & Development Department will review your application package to make sure it's complete. Your application will be assigned to an Area Planner if the application's accepted.
If your Development Application is complete, it'll be accepted, a file will be created, and you'll get a project number.
Type your project number into the Online Development Inquiry to learn your project's Area Planner and see other project information and status.
See what's next in the application review and approval process.