Applying for a Home Owner Grant
The Province of British Columbia offers a home owner grant that reduces the amount of property tax you pay for your principal residence. The grant is applied toward the current year's property tax.
You may qualify as a homeowner if you are:
- Under 65 years of age
- A senior
- A veteran
- A person with disabilities
- Living with a spouse or relative with disabilities
- A spouse or relative of a deceased owner
Apply for a Electronic Home Owner Grant (EHOG)
If you qualify for a home owner grant, you can apply online
A home owner grant application is also included with your property tax notice. This can be completed and submitted to City of Surrey at Property & Payment Services.
When to Apply
Apply for the grant each year by July 2 to avoid late penalty fees on the grant amount. When a due date falls on a weekend or statutory holiday, we accept payments the following business day without penalty.
If you don't pay your property tax balance in full, in anticipation of receiving a home owner grant, but your grant application is denied, you may receive late penalties on the tax amount remaining.
After you've claimed your home owner grant, pay your property tax online or pre-pay your property taxes for next year.
Apply for a Retroactive Home Owner Grant
If you forgot to apply for your Home Owner Grant last year, you may be able to receive a retroactive home owner grant:
- You qualified for the grant on December 31 of last year. For example, you have until December 31, 2016 to claim the 2015 home owner grant.
- You are still the registered owner of the property
- Complete the Retroactive Home Owner Grant Application Form. This form can be signed by the registered owner, or their agent when making application for a Retroactive Home Owner Grant.
- You may submit your completed Retroactive Home Owner Grant application to the Property & Payment Services section:
- By email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person, at City Hall
- By mail to:
Property & Payment Services
13450 -104 Avenue Surrey, BC V3T 1V8
Contact us at email@example.com or reach us by phone at 604-591-4181 for questions about property taxes and utilities in Surrey.