Go Green With Your Business
Going green can help your business save money while reducing its environmental impacts. Actions such as reducing waste and using your energy more efficiently not only cut greenhouse gas emissions, but improve your bottom line.
You will find that using more sustainable business practices will enhance marketability, innovation and profitability.
Learn about the different ways you can make your business more sustainable and what programs can help you get there.
- Reducing Waste
- Get ideas on how to reduce your waste and take advantage of Surrey’s recycling services. You can help reach Surrey’s target in diverting waste from landfills!
- Smart Travel Choices
- Discover different ways you and your employees can commute to save the environment and your money.
- Green Buildings
- From new construction to retrofitting old buildings, access the information you need to build green, and find out what incentives are available to you.
Programs and incentives for businesses
Want some help reducing your environmental impacts? A number of cost-effective programs and incentives are available for business owners:
Join over 2 dozen Surrey businesses that have developed a business case for reducing their carbon footprint. The Climate Smart program helps you measure your emissions, develop a plan, and leverage your success.
Offers a wide range of energy efficiency services including free energy efficiency assessments. These assessments help you find retrofit opportunities and identify incentives to help you upgrade.
Reduce the fuel use and operating costs of your fleet with fuel-efficient driver training, fuel management workshops, a fuel consumption calculator, and more.
E3 Fleet provides tools and services as part of a national fleet management program, including a custom assessment of your fleet’s performance and opportunities for improvement.
Check out the City of Surrey’s Energy Shift for other incentives and funding opportunities that help you green your business.
City of Surrey: Leading By Example
The City of Surrey has demonstrated leadership on climate action by developing a Corporate Emissions Action Plan. Through the plan, the City has committed to reducing corporate emissions by 20% below baseline levels before 2020, and has taken a number of steps to get there, such as:
- Using green fleet vehicles, including our low-emission compressed natural gas (CNG) waste collection trucks and an electric car
- Pursuing green building practices, such as LEED certification for the Surrey Animal Care Facility, City Centre Library, and new City Hall
- Developing a district energy system in Surrey City Centre, which heats the City Centre Library and the New City Hall
- Undertaking energy retrofits on many existing City facilities to reduce energy use
Are you a Vendor for the City of Surrey?
The City now requires vendors to report their fuel usage for any contracts to carry out traditional services (excluding capital works). This includes maintenance or operating contracts for:
- Drinking water, storm and wastewater
- Solid waste collection, transportation and diversion
- Roads and traffic operations
- Arts, recreation and cultural services
- Fire protection
Use our City of Surrey Vendor Reporting Tool to track your vehicle’s fuel use, and email the completed form to our Sustainability Office at year-end, or the completion of your contract. You can also contact Maggie Baynham at 604-591-4297 for more information.